Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Productive Parenting FAIL!

So, I'm subscribed to this really nifty website that gives me ideas on what to do with my ankle biters when I'm feeling a bit uncreative. So, today, with said activity at the ready, we trooped outside. Unfortunately, I set up the play table a little too close to a cactus plant that lives on our patio. By the time we get inside, both kids are pulling at their clothes and howling from cactus stickers. Georgia had little cactus prickles all over her back, Daniel and I had some in our hands.

After about 15 min of howling, I threw both kids in the bathtub and tried to convince them that the warm water would "soak the cactus out" of their skin. Ha! But, they bought it. Have you ever tried to give kids a bath at a random time of day? Its like a vacation for them, a snow day. Their usual bathtime behavior (which is none too impressive anyway) goes right out the window, to be replaced by bathtime hooligans. Hooligans! There was a good 15 min of naked toddlers running through the house, punctuated by a large dog barking, the phone ringing, and the fact that I had to remove some of my own clothes which had now gotten cactus prickles in them (from Georgia's clothing).

For the record, I'd like you all to know that said cactus plant has been moved far far away from our patio. And I'd like to formally request a do-over for this day. I should have just stuck with eating bon-bons as per usual.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Cacti are the bane of desert-dwelling parents and roadrunner-chasing coyotes everywhere.

sarah. said...

You totally earned a do-over! Besides, I needed a chuckle today :)

Emily and Susan, Productive Parenting said...

Hi Anna! I had to laugh when I found your entry today through a google alert for Productive Parenting! I laugh at myself more often than not when I'm doing an activity that isn't met by my children with the same enthusiasm I bring to the table and I think how funny that I created Productive Parenting but yet am not feeling so productive myself today! Hang in there...I find there are more times than not that we end up having fun with them but let's face it...kids are unpredictable and thus so are our days! Hope your day's a good one today!