Thursday, March 5, 2009

He's eclectic

Just more proof that my son may in fact be smarter than I am:

Yesterday we were listening to KUT, as we are most mornings. John Aielli was playing some 12th century gregorian chant by a composer named Perotin. Lots of high, tight harmonies, but with rhythms that are totally different than modern music. Daniel walks into the room, pauses and listens for a minute and then says "Is this Fleet Foxes?" So, I reply, "No, sweetie, this is really old church music" Then, as that piece ends, Aeli comes on the air and says "And here's a piece that really makes me think of Perotin" And proceeds to play a song by the Fleet Foxes. This could mean one of three things: Either I'm dumb for not making this particular musical connection, John Aielli has the musical astuteness of a small child, or Daniel has been endowed with a great ear for music. So, I've got a kid who hasn't yet grasped the concept of zipping his pants, yet can make musical connections between 12th century sacred music and modern pop.

Children are strange little creatures, aren't they?

1 comment: