Sunday, October 5, 2008

The Golden Pig

There she is, my little golden pig. I guess you can't really see her shirt very well, but it says "Golden Pig Baby". For those of you not familiar with Chinese astrology (and I'm no expert!), Georgia was evidently born in a very auspicious year. I first found out about this fact a few days before Georgia was born. My acupuncturist (who was not my regular practitioner) said, "So, you know about the Golden Pig, right?" To which, I said "Umm, no?" Then she proceeded to tell the tale of how my little baby was going to be born in a year that was supposed to be the luckiest year to come along in a long long while. Every 600 years to be exact. And how so many people in China wanted to have a Golden Pig baby more than anything. And here I was going to have one without even meaning to! On the day that I learned these interesting facts, I was about 2 days away from my due date. I was uncomfortable, anxious, worried about my bloodpressure, my firstborn and how my little world was going to be blown off its foundation by the addition of a new little one to my life. I wasn't feeling very happy about pregnancy and childbirth, to say the least. But then, once I had this vision of this sweet, content, happy baby who would be lucky and have a long life, it made me excited to meet this new little person. To see if she really was everything that legend said she was supposed to be. And you know, after a few months of crankiness, teething, figuring out how to sleep and all that crazy stuff, whenever her round little face crinkles into a smile, I think she might just be a little golden pig. But I'm not sure who is luckier, Georgia or me.

No comments: