Tuesday, October 7, 2008

I hate bureaucracy!!!!!!

I'm so mad I could spit. I just got off the phone with the lovely folks at the Austin Municipal Court, and let me tell you, the mess they have me in takes the cake. I actually cannot believe I'm being subjected to this level of incompetence. Let's go back to the beginning of this debacle, shall we? Back in July I got a ticket. Yes, I was speeding. On my way to a doctor appointment, I might add. And yes, my registration was past due. I own up to the fact that I'm not terribly organized in that department and it caught up to me. Okay. So, I was eligible for a driver's safety course and all I had to do was renew that registration, get all the various proofs sent in by the court date, and all was good to go. Or so I thought. I did all of the above. Only, the highly intelligent police officer made two mistakes. One, he spelled my name wrong on the ticket. So, my name on my insurance AND my driver's liscense did not match the records. And two, he WROTE DOWN THE WRONG VIOLATION!! He supposedly wrote that my inspection was out of date, not my registration. How do you get something like that wrong?! How? Oh, but it gets better. The court supposedly sent out notices to me to get the paperwork they needed. I never recieved said notices. So, now the burden is on me to correct someone else's mistakes. I have to write letters to the judge, I have to show that my inspection was in fact current. All the while, Ms. Meanie Pants on the phone is acting like I'm some criminal and that I'm lying to her about the mistakes that she made. She actually had the nerve to say to me "Oh no, your inspection was out of date. I'm looking at the ticket. That's the truth." The truth?! That's the truth?! I'll tell her what the truth is. The truth is that it took me an entire afternoon of paying a babysitter to watch the kids while I ran all over town getting the paperwork together in the first place. And now I'm going to have to do all that again to clean up after an incompetent cop, incompetent legal system and an incompetent city government that doesn't even have enough phone lines so that it took 4 days for me to finally get through to a surly government employee. Our tax dollars at work, folks. Why can't I just live in Montana where there's no speed limit, no registration stickers and no inspection stickers either.

1 comment:

Kate said...

So sorry! A few months ago I had similar fun. My favorite was the cop saying on the ticket that I was alone in the car. Um, there was an enormous 6'2" inch man in the car with me! And he didn't ask for my insurance and... And then the people at the courthouse were not so smart.