Wednesday, October 1, 2008

I'm irritated

I really wish I wasn't bothered by this. I really wish I could let it go. I've been told by Daniel's teacher not to send him in undies to school because last week he had 2 accidents (one each day that he was there) and supposedly he's afraid of the big toilet there. Oh yeah, and "they have a lot going on" and they can't pay attention to everything and don't have time for kids having this many accidents. As someone pointed out to me, if they have so much going on, doesn't that affect other aspects of their care of the children besides potty training? This just doesn't sit well with me. First of all, when I picked him up yesterday he was wearing the same pull up I'd dropped him off in 4 hrs earlier. And it was wet. And, after wearing a "diaper" to school (because that's what it is, no matter if you call it a pull up) he was really resistant to using the toilet at home. Great, thanks so much school. And as far as his fear of "big" potties.... Well, all I have to say is that when we're out and about, the way I get him to sit on a public toilet is to tell him that its a potty just like at school. That puts him totally at ease, so how afraid can he really be? Maybe its the people who're putting him on said toilet. I really want to not be bothered by this. I don't want to be negative about his teacher and school because Daniel can pick up on stuff like that and he really likes school. I don't want to mess with that. All I know is that I've had a couple conversations with his teacher about this subject and no progress is being made. I'm being given the same answers. I'm just not sure what to do.

1 comment:

Julie said...

How obnoxious. I have no advice, unfortunately, but I don't think the MDO teachers are as dedicated as regular preschool teachers to this sort of thing (see Stella's school and the whole nap issue). You could perhaps try writing down your concerns and not only talking to the teacher in person, but leaving the note. Then talking to the director if you get no response. Have you thought about asking your pediatrician for advice?
I'm with you, though, I would really worry about how much attention they are paying to the children if they do not have time to take them to the potty or change their diapers/pull-ups. At Stella's school they have a scheduled potty/diaper change time, but they'll also change/take them to the potty at other times if need be. The teacher was changing a little boy when I picked Stella up the other day even though it was no where near "changing" time.
Wow, I should have emailed you, this is so long. But anyway, my advice is trust your instincts.