Thursday, October 8, 2009

I *heart* acting

I hope some of you were fortunate enough to be in attendance at the latest incarnation of "Slapdash Flimflammery". I haven't been saying much about theater these days, but I had such an awesome time during this project, I just have to blab about it.

See, I like to be on stage. I have been blessed with one of those personalities that is willing to risk failure just because it is so unbelievably cool when you hear all those happy hands clapping for you (insert a little squeal here). Its why I've gone through so many hours of brutal piano practice and more than my fair share of public embarrassment on the road to improving my performance skills. And, even though I've not done very much of it, its one reason why I love acting. I mean, I L.O.V.E. it.

Sure, I've done lots of behind the scenes type of stuff, and that was awesome and all. But not nearly as awesome as getting to dress up and strut around saying witty stuff (Thanks Erin!). I have to say I'm more than a little bummed out that I didn't discover, or have the oportunity to discover, this sooner. I mean, I kind of wonder how it didn't happen actually. I took a speech class in junior high. For all of our assignments, I partnered with a friend (who now happens to be acting in NYC). I wrote things, she got to act. And as for why high school theater passed me by.... I blame marching band. But you see, I was a kid who was doing Mae West impersonations at age 6. Just ask my parents. They have pictures. And putting on dance revue shows (complete with tap shoes and costume changes) on our side patio. Somehow I took a wrong left turn and ended up sitting at a concert grand. Not that my career as a pianist is somehow "wrong", but you know what I mean.

Anyway, here I am, 32 years old and just discovering something that I really feel I click with. Something that happens to be a skill that many people spend years perfecting, busting their butt over the way I did in music school. So, for me to say "Hey, I want to act" is kind of the equivalent of one of the other members of LGT coming to me and saying "Hey, I think I'd like to give a solo piano recital in a couple months!"

For those folks who trusted that I would memorize my lines, work hard, and not embarrass myself or LGT, I am eternally grateful. I wish I was at a place in life where I had oodles of time to devote to auditions, and really working on this. But I don't, and that's okay. Slapdash comes again next year, and I'll be ready!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

As someone who was sitting in the front row for your performance, I must say you did a fantastic job.

Anna said...

Aw shucks. Thanks man :)

sarah. said...

It's interesting the turns our lives take. I'm glad you've found something new to love! and I'll have to come watch next time!