Friday, October 30, 2009

Love thy neighbor?

To the Person who decided to deface my anti-war bumpersticker with an expletive:

I don't really know what lead up to you grabbing a sharpie and writing foul language on my car. Perhaps you've served in one of the wars our country is now waging. Perhaps a family member is there now, or maybe you've even lost friends or family to the horror of war. I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you're not one of my neighbors. I just can't stand to think that someone who knows me would be so hateful. Whatever the reason, you're carrying around a lot of anger, and decided to take it out on an unsuspecting stranger. You know what, I'm not holding it against you. You have a first amendment right, just like I do. Maybe you were hoping to provoke anger in my heart towards those who support or fight in wars. Perhaps you made certain assumptions about me as an individual based on my political views. I just feel sorry for you. It makes me sad that you're so close-minded and angry that you can't have a conversation with another person who looks at the world differently than you do. You've been reduced to scrawling anonymous filthy language on other people's property.

Surely you saw the carseats and toys inside my car, signs that young children would see your handywork. I'm sure you didn't care about that. Maybe you even have your own kids. If they saw what you were doing, how would you answer their questions? "Well son, I had to deface their property because those people are unpatriotic cowards who don't care about our soldiers." Well, I had to answer some questions from my son too. And you know what I got to tell him about your actions and who you were? "Well son, someone wrote some mean words on our car and we don't know who it was because they were too scared to sign their name." You may think I'm guilty of treason and think I don't deserve to be an American, but at least when I put my opinion out there for the world to see, I don't do it anonymously. And you know what else? I'm going to put another sticker with the same sentiments right back in place of the old one.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That really pisses me off. I'm sorry that happened Anna. May karma swing back around on them and show the error of their ways.